Friday, July 10, 2009

The Culture of Age

I've been thinking about all of the different ways culture affects our lives. I thought about the differences between generations and what that looks like. It brings me to a place which requires that I hold to a looser concept of culture.

Having crossed over the Mason-Dixon line of age changes how I see the world and everyone in it. And yes, I'm aware that the concept of Mason-Dixon could date me, but it's also possible that I'm just a really good student of American history. In either case, it's obvious that I'm no spring chicken.

Using these expressions belong to a particular time period and those who are cohorts of this era constitute another culture. Then there's the culture of the electronic age and technology. You know, the whole web-Facebook-My Space-Text-Twitter thing. It appears that those who indulge in these practices routinely have created yet another culture. It's one whose boundaries are much more fluid than the typical. All it requires is knowledge of technology. My participation is proof that the required knowledge is very minimal.

Writing any contemporary piece must incorporate at least one of these social networks if not all of them. I can't imagine anyone who has not at least heard of one of them, regardless of age.

How about a quick count. Is there anyone out there over the age of thirty who hasn't heard of one of either of these: email, website, blog, My Space, Facebook, texting, Twitter? I would love to hear about it. Drop me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. What's "blog"?
    JK.

    I find that having teenage kids helps me keep up with modern concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of Family Feud...good answer, good answer. Yes teens are extremely helpful. Everytime I get a new phone or some other piece of technology, I have to find one of them to help me.

    ReplyDelete