Saturday, July 18, 2009

Culture and Me

Right now I'm wondering if I have anything of importance to share. It occurs to me that when I write I often censure myself and attempt to scub out things that might be culture specific. Why? I'm not really sure.

I know that some of my concern is that people are often lazy. I wonder what will happen if something in my writing causes the reader to sort through the meaning of what a character says. Will it motivate them to keep reading or will the bump be are reason to put the book down.

Here's the rub. If I don't take the risk, then the world at large will never be exposed to my culture. Lack of exposure creates more of what already is. If I throw caution to the wind and lace these things throughout the piece, will it be overload and put the reader off. Trying to find the right balance between the spice of difference and overwhelming suffocation can be difficult to discern. Writing and the reader's connection with the piece is so subjective.

My decision is to work for that balance. If I want to be represented in the world of literature, then it is my responsibility to make it a priority and be willing to take certain risks. That's a little scary since I'm a new writer trying to break into the industry.

There are those that would argue that I should go with the flow until I get published then make the change. That feels a bit deceitful to me on so many levels. Just thinking about it brings up feelings that I'm not writing with my true voice and changing that midstream would be offensive.

I think genuineness is important and produces longevity in the market. I know how I feel when I pick up a book from a particular author expecting a certain type of read and am sorely disapponted when that is not there.

So, like the song says, "I've gotta be me."
...oops, I've dated myself again.

2 comments:

  1. Always, you must be yourself and tell your story in your voice. But I don't think you want to write for an extremely limited audience. It's hard to tell from what you said how you think the cultural references will confuse readers outside the culture. Sometimes a writer can find a way to put it in context so it is clear even though new to the reader. I think that's the best approach.
    Recently, I was intrigued by a book but read a review that said the author's use of language from several hundred years ago was confusing and slowed the story. You don't want your reader to be slogging or, worse, shut the book because it's hard to figure out what's happening.
    Once again, this is just generalities. I find it hard to comment on anything specific, not having an example. For starters, perhaps the seasoning approach is best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about context. I really get that, but my concern is that sometimes things occur in one environment that don't happen in another. Example: a behavior in one place is accepted and understood, yet in another it appears contrived and unbelievable.

    I'm not sure how to address something like this. How do I tell the world to take my word for it, particularly agents or editors.

    I'll keep at it. Sooner or later things have got to meet.

    ReplyDelete