Friday, January 8, 2010

Sincerest Apologies

I must truly apologize. I've been quiet thinking about what I want this blog to be. My first entries had to do with writing struggles and my determining how I want to be perceived. I guess that is still has been resolved, yet.

I know that the way I want the world to think of me is as a 'great' writer. It isn't important to me that my chocolateness be the determining factor of whether or not people read what I write. Quite the opposite is true. I want to be known for my craft.

So the question remains: what part does culture play? It's still very important to me that my grandchildren are able to see themselves in my characters and that children of color have heros and heroines that look like them. With that said, it is most important to me that the world-at-large enjoy what I write.

I don't want to be shelved in an area that has only to do with who my parents are. I want to be right there on the shelves next all other books of my chosen genre. How to pull this off is still a dilemma that I haven't yet found the answer. For one thing, I still have to write the piece that makes it onto those shelves!

So the my mind churns on. But that doesn't answer the more immediate question: what direction should this blog take? I still want it to be about writing and culture. I don't want it to be a place of ranting.

As my fingers fly across the keyboard, ideas begin to form in my mind. They're not ripe enough to pick yet, but when they are I'll be sure to let you know.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should just post whatever you find interesting. The more you post and the more you comment on blogs, the more traffic you'll get.
    If you want people to see you as a write, post some writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I guess I think I have to write the 'right' thing. An aftermath of a repressed, victorian mother. For her, there is a right way and only one right way to do things.

    The things I want to say are often misunderstood because of cultural differences. I hope people will ask me what I mean instead of assuming I mean something negative, which I don't.

    ReplyDelete