Friday, June 19, 2009

Today when I was wondering what I would write about it occurred to me that I am writing to a particular culture. One which I am in constant research of, young adults. This can be a fairly difficult culture to understand.

On the surface it would appear not to be a problem, especially since I had once been there. But it's been a while and things have changed quite a bit. Yet there are similarities. When I was that young, I can remember thinking that I was in two places at once. Being on top of the world with all of life's promise ahead of me and living in the pit of despair, never knowing if I was okay. Did I wear the right clothes, have the right boyfriend (or a boyfriend), did I use the right slang? In this way teens of today are the same as back then. But that is where the similarity ends.

Today's youth live in a different world than the one that existed for me. The pressures for them have a different flavor. And the expectations have changed. The language is constantly evolving as is the 'right thing' that gains one's acceptance. And there is always the possibility of being sanctioned against for having participated in one of the great taboos. These are the things that go into creating a culture.

So, if their culture is different than mine, how do I go about learning it? One of the greatest helps is in going to the source. Talking with teens every chance I get. Listening to what they are saying and listening for the things that they pointedly leave unsaid. Offering the respect and acceptance that I would want and honoring their hopes and dreams.

Where does writing come in and figuring out what they want to read? That one's easy. Everything. Just like in any other culture there is no one attribute that can be ascribed to everyone within that group apart from the similarity of age. Thinking about young people in any other way than acknowledging their individuality is slipping into stereotype and I guarantee it will mean a quick painful death of anything you write.

Then what do teens want to read? They want to read about kids just like them, kids different from them, kids with huge problems, and kids with everyday troubles. They want to read about adventures, those that lead them to different borders and those that lead them into their own backyards. They want to read about mystery, romance, fantasy, science fiction. In short, their desire for a good story is no different than our own. With one exception, if you, the author, trivialize their angst or cheapen their struggles, that book will die and so will your hopes of success in that genre.

The bottom line in writing YA is authenticity. Do your research and accept what you find. It will pay off.

1 comment:

  1. "Accept what you find" is a really good statement, Stephanie. It's important in any kind of writing to go into it with an open mind, not preconceived ideas. Especially where kids are concerned.

    ReplyDelete