Sunday, June 28, 2009

Here's a new question. How do you represent yourself, your culture, in your writing when you're different than the majority culture? How do you create the bridge from your culture to others? I guess that's really two questions.

As an author of color I often find myself in a difficult place. Do I write to my community or do I write more globally? My desire is to do both in each and every piece. But the real difficulty for me is when I write something that is culture specific making sure I put it in a context that is readily understandable by all. What is most problematic is when things don't easily translate or their is no readily identifiable similarity.

When I write science fiction it is so much easier because there I am creating worlds, and not just worlds, but cultures within those worlds. When people read science fiction they expect to have to learn as they go along. I have to admit that's half the fun, whether reading sci-fi or writing it. However, I find that when I'm writing contemporary fiction people aren't so fluid in the willingness or ability to learn as they read.

The challenge then is to make my characters so compelling that the reader experiences emotion in that context. To do this what needs to happen is the same thing that I do for science fiction. Build an emotional bridge for the reader by creating an intermediate world with anchors in both cultures. Not an easy thing to do for contemporary fiction. But if doing that was easy everyone would be published.

The answer then, lies in finding metacultural anchors. The greatest metacultural anchor is emotion. And the trick is building up the scene around it so that no matter what language you use the emotion explains it all.

I'd love to hear what you think.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, I think any writing is strongest when it is built on universal truths and human emotions and relationships. Even within the "white" culture, there are stories told from various countries and times. I know it is alien to me for a story to be set hundreds of years ago when women had no rights except through fathers and husbands.
    There are a number of successful novelists who write stories revolving around black, Asian and hispanic culture. How do they do it? We could deconstruct the works of Maya Angelou, Alice Walker, Chris Abani, Susan Straight, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Isabel Allende, Laura Esquivel and, oh my gosh, so many more. It would be a delight to read them again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie: I'm posting a follow-up because something has been bothering me since I was in a large bookstore recently. I noticed in rearranging of things they had set up an aisle for African American books. Since I was rushing to pick something up, I didn't linger and now I wish I had. I wonder if that is simply a section for African American studies, which is justified, or if the store is putting all books with black subjects there. While it would make it easy to find something specific, it would be a disservice if black authors are being pulled out of the mainstream. Now, I may be totally mistaken about this, and I shall have to go back and check on it, but it does address some of the issues you have brought up about how culture may affect audience. Will a writer have greater sales, for instance, if the cover art shows multi-cultural subjects?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, I think I have to agree about writing tothe universal audience, yet there are cultural aspects of POV that come into question. You have named so many of the wonderful authors that look like me, which is always an encouragement. They are the trailblazers. And among these there are those that write specifically from and to the Black perspective.

    Doing this requires the autor prove that their books will sell to more that their community, and by you ability to rattle their names off so easily proves the point. For me it has been difficulty to ascertain who is the best editor or agent to approach. Some of the anxiety is left over from generations of uncertaintity and unfortunately some of it is appropriate for today.

    Thanks so much for you comments. They are always welcome and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pat, you are correct in your assumption that the section is designed for African American studies and related subjects. Works of fiction authored by those of my community are lining the shelves alongside everyone else. The only acception is when those works can function in both categories. Then they are placed in several sections.

    In answer to your question about what is depicted in cover art, that's a total toss up. I wonder what difference it makes in sales numbers. What I have seen is different cover art on the same books. That may only have to do with different print runs, I don't really know. One day I'll find the appropriate person to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just found your blog.
    Might I suggest adding titles to each post so people follow the blog via RSS (Google Reader) can see when you post new things and what the subject is. You'd probably attract more followers too.

    My "culture" is "computer engineer" so I tend to create characters who are computer-savvy and nerdy. It just comes out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Iapetus999, Thanks for stopping by. I will definitely take your recommendation and run with it. Titles we be on all posts from this point on. I appreciate you input.

    Your characters sound interesting. What genre do you write in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mostly Science Fiction. I do have one Fantasy project I'm working on, and my NaNoWriMo blogvels have been spy thrillers with a SF lean. Definitely not YA I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw well, we can't all do the same thing or life would be too boring to live. This year was the first time I've attempted NaNoWriMo. There was no way I was going to finish, I was in the middle of a move. Packing and writing just don't mix. I LOVE reading Sci-Fi; particularly character driven pieces.

    ReplyDelete