Monday, January 25, 2010

Fear and Trembling

Today I submitted to a writing contest. I did it with fear and trembling. Part of the anxiety was due to my fear of not being proficient with computers. I was afraid that I would hit some snag or glitch and I wouldn't know what to do about it. But I got prayed-up and plowed right in.

I managed to log in with very little problem. Then I started inputting the information. I clicked the save button and I got this screen that said it was 'working'. The screen stayed like that for some time. I didn't really pay much attention to it or become concerned. I just assumed that there were so many people logging in that the server might have been overloaded and it was just taking some time to get the job done.

So I waited and waited. I waited for two hours! Finally I asked my daughter what she though about it. She said that I could be right or that something went wrong with the connection. I asked her how could I tell the difference. She told me to open another window and see if it would let me log in. I did and everything went smoothly from there.

What's really sad is that I was prepared to sit in front of the computer and wait for it to finish 'working'. It probably would have gone on like that all night. And there I would be sitting and waiting. I am so not of the computer age and culture.

Now I'm ready for a long, hot, bubble bath. Calgon, take me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment